Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Still Camping...

Camp Friendship- Camp 1, Week 2- Tuesday, June 23.

If it weren’t for my dated “Utmost for His Highest” Journal I don’t think I’d have a clue what the day and date is. In a two+ week-long camp, the days definitely run together! My original plans were to work this camp and then join some friends near Kyiv to “experience” a couple of different camps. Right now I’m leaning towards just staying here at Camp Friendship until time to go back to the States at the end of July.

I mentioned in my last blog that there’s usually some sort of “stage program” from the kids in the evenings. Yesterday marked the anniversary of the “former Soviet Union’s” entry into World War 2 so there was a very nice, patriotic program last night that included testimony from a local woman in her 80’s that served during the War. World War 2 was not a good time for Ukraine (or Russia). Hitler was every bit as prejudiced and hateful towards the Slavic People as he was Jewish People. He was out for annihilation and extermination. As hard as WW2 was for America, it was a whole different ballgame to fight a war on your own turf; it was beyond brutal for everyone involved.

Last night we watched video and slide shows depicting what it was like during those years and then ended the night with our daily Slide Show from camp- it was a stark contrast. Add to that the fact that the kids were sitting in a pavilion that was once used to indoctrinate children into Communism, and that they were looking upon a stage that now has a mural of Jesus loving on children and the contrast is even greater.

To me it seems that this country- independent for less than 20 years- is still on the brink. The newfound freedom and democracy has yet to completely take root. Maybe it will; maybe it won’t. I don’t want to take the opportunity I have to be here for granted; I see it as a window of opportunity. A window through which the Lord is pouring out his blessings. Everyday I see a constant snow-fall of fuzzy seeds from the trees on campus and I am reminded of God’s grace being poured out and of seeds being planted in the hearts of these children. Their world is being changed, even for those that don’t know it yet.

Oh, and on another note: I just learned that my middle niece just had her second child- a little girl named Hazel. I now have 2 great-nieces and 5 great-nephews. And they are all Great! Congratulations Ashley and Eric.

3 comments:

Karen said...

What a beautiful contrast between past and present!
Question - as Ukraine is still adjusting to newfound freedom, and still vunerable, do you think it will remain "open" as far as mission work is concerned?

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

Clinton, I'm so glad you're getting to be part of this, a part of God's plan for Ukraine. I love your heart and your love for His people, where-ever they are, and the insight He gives you, and, oh, yeah, the way you share it with us and open our eyes and hearts to things we didn't see before. Your journey with Him is an amazing thing, and we at home are blessed to share it through your words. You're in our prayers, and so are the children and people of Ukraine...

Janet T (Clinton's other sister) said...

So good to hear from you, Clinton, sounds like you are definitely in your element at this camp. Oh, how i would have loved to be there to hear the woman talk about what life was like during the war years, and to see the videos and slideshows of then and now! It must be hard for many of the older Ukrainians to believe or trust that their independence is real and/or will last. Given some of the past atrocities these people have endured from past rulers, i'd think that many people would be afraid to take advantage of newfound opportunities for fear of retaliation should their new independence not last. Do you ever get a sense of anything like that from the people there? Your posts always give me so much to think about, and remind me of what a little cocoon the majority of us (Americans, as a whole) live in... content to turn a blind eye to what life is like for people who haven't had and/or still don't have all the freedoms that we take for granted. I have to thank you, Clinton, for helping me be more aware of the world we live in, and for helping to open my heart more each day for the plight of others around the world. I love you, little brother, and miss you so much! And, you are in my prayers always...I pray that God will continue to lead and guide you, that He will continue to meet all your needs...whatever they may be, and that He will continue to keep you safe from all harm always... protecting you in all that you do....each and every day.