Sunday, November 1, 2009

Swine Flu in Ukraine

In case you're wondering...no, I didn't get Swine Flu for my Birthday. However, seemingly overnight all of Ukraine is in a panic. As best as I can tell from looking at a lot of blogs and news sources, there's been a major Flu outbreak in the Western part of the country and it's moving this way. Also...in keeping with standard government operating procedure over here... no one really knew about it until it reached Epidemic proportions. Reports vary, but some estimates are that about 53 people have died in the last 10 days out West and thousands are infected. Some reports are stating that the government had been warned months ago to prepare for this, but of course that money has been squandered elsewhere.

As it stands...here in Kyiv, all public and private schools are closed for the next 3 weeks. Most public meetings have been banned for the same period, including some church services. No word yet if my school will be cancelled, but I think it will probably go on unless some teachers get sick. Public Markets are closed until further notice...I don't think that will apply to the regular grocery stores. I may stock up on Ramen Noodles just in case!!

Travel between Oblasts (like States or really large counties) have been restricted. People everywhere are wearing surgical masks...I can't imagine them being much use. The President said today that some State Factories have been mobilized to begin producing up to 1 million mask per day. Train Station personnel are reportedly "disinfecting" passengers upon embarkation. There's been a run on pharmacies for the masks and for basic medicines. Of course there aren't nearly enough actual vaccinations to go around. One article said Kyiv shipped 1200 vaccines out West...where 150,000+ people may be sick??!! Today's online edition of Kyiv Post says the government has requested International Aid and that the World Health Organization is sending a team here.

So. It's Ukraine. It's hard to tell how bad it really is. In terms of Preparedness and Infrastructure to handle an epidemic...it's probably bad. I feel like there's a pretty big element of "hype" and "panic" though.

Busses and Subways here are always VERY crowded- the potential for spreading a Virus is, well...viral to be sure. I made it through last winter just fine in part I think because once it actually got cold, I would wear gloves everywhere, including on public transportation. I think that probably helps more than wearing masks. In any case, there's no need for me to do much traveling here in the city. I walk to class and I can lay low for a few weeks. I've got good insurance (not that it would do any good with Meds in short supply).

So. I ain't skeered.

Be in prayer though. So many people here don't have the luxury of "laying low". They have no option for mounting the cram-packed public transports every day for work. They don't have private insurance and even if they did it probably wouldn't help them much. If only America would send it's Congressional Health Care Reform geniuses over here to fix things!! Sigh.


1 comment:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

Praying for you and everybody there...