Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I just thought I was taking time off this month....

August so far has been eventful!  Let me begin with this one really neat experience.

You remember of course that I lived in Ukraine all of 2009 and during that time, on two occasions I had friends doing "logistics" for The World Race visit with me in preparation for arriving teams.  And then, on three occasions that year I had a small hand in hosting said World Race teams.

Already this year (back in April) I've hosted a WR Team (they lived in my apartment for the month).  But I had a first this month.

I had personal friends visit me.

Haley is the oldest daughter of one of my all-time best friends.  I remember when she was born.  Her Dad and I go all the way back to the 7th grade.  We were college roommates.  He was in my wedding and I was supposed to be in his but I took-off for a job in Alaska or Dakota or somewhere instead.  Her Mom became my friend during those college years.




Haley and her husband of just barely a year, Caleb, spent last week with me here in Uzhgorod.  It's hard to put it into words what the simple act of spending a week on-mission with me means to me.  Aside from the fact that it was nice to have visitors from back home (who brought me a suitcase full of Taco Shells and other essentials), it was humbling that they would spend their resources to come all the way over here.  They both have a heart for the Nations and they've both been involved in missions and ministry throughout college and now as they both work for a great missions organization in Atlanta.  They wanted to see what God is doing in my part of Europe.

I basically plugged them into what I had going on this past week- working at the Day Camp at Nehemiah International.  I didn't really have to fabricate something for them to do.  We just joined-in where we saw the Lord working.  It wasn't earth-shattering mission work I don't think.  We were just living life on-mission here in Uzhgorod.

I have delusions of grandeur sometime.  I want to do something dramatic.  Heroic.  Earth-shattering.  But most of the time being a missionary, for me, is just going about everyday, walking with Christ...I just happen to live in Uzhgorod, Ukraine while I'm doing it.  And for a week, Caleb and Haley joined me.

Having them here gave me an opportunity to share my passion for Ukraine, to share some hospitality, to serve them even as they served another ministry and some kids at a Day Camp.

3 comments:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

How wonderful... it reminds me of the story about the little boy walking alogn the beach throwing the starfish back out to sea... and the old man who asked him why he bothered, that there were so many beached starfish that he could never make a difference... and the little boy threw another into the waves and said... it makes a difference to that one... someday in heaven, all those little things you don't even realize your'e doing while you walk the walk will be huge in the big, beautiful scheme of God's plans... p.s. so glad you had visitors from home...

Ashley said...

Uncle C- I think you hit the head on the nail there- I think mission work is EXACTLY as you described. It is showing other's Jesus through the daily stuff of life. If it was always something "spectacular", God would have only called a few people to it. But He called every single Christian to fulfill that Great Commission. I am so very proud of you U.C.
PS- e and I have been talking and praying about a personal/mission visit in 2013. We should talk:). Love you!

Janet (Clinton's sister) said...

I'm so glad they were able to spend the week with you, and I'm sure it was as much a blessing for them as it was for you!! I'm sharing your web site with my 6th graders this year as they study world history as a way to help them get a more personal view of life in Europe....with the hope that they will develop an interest in mission work! Love you always, and praying for you daily!!