Friday, April 12, 2013

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. And Marshrutkas, and Subways, and Taxis.

It is, as I write, 12:30 am on a Friday night.  I got home about 3 hours ago after being in a the backseat of a car all day.  I was in the backseat of a car all day yesterday, too.  The day before that I was on a train all day and the day before that on a bus/marshrutka where a woman in the aisle next to our seats threw-up about 45 minutes before we got off.  That was not pleasant.  I've been in the Kiev Metro (Subway) and in a taxi or two in the past week, too.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll be back on a train for an overnight ride back to Kiev.  We'll arrive Sunday a few hours before a long church service then we'll walk miles touring the city.  Early Monday morning I'll be on a plane on the way to Istanbul  and then to Osh, Kyrgyzstan.


  • I like traveling more than I like packing.
  • I like planes more than trains and trains more than cars (unless it's my Jeep and I'm driving) and cars more than marshrutkas.  I'm more or less indifferent about taxis and subways; I've had good and bad experiences with both.
  • I like eating in Kiev.  I had good Chinese food with even better friends last week.  I ate at KFC for crying out loud.  I ate a Domino's Pizza!!.
  • I like to read and sleep and listen to music when I'm on the train.  It's not at all unusual to meet really nice and often very interesting people on the train...but I'd rather pull my invisible blanket around me and chill-out the whole way.
  • I'm a little scared of what we might eat and drink in Kyrgyzstan.  Got Fermented Horse Milk?
  • I'm thinking there might be a Starbucks in Istanbul?
I'll write a lot more about all this traveling next week.  This morning was awesome hearing testimonies from 5 recent graduates of the Mission Training School we partner with.  God is doing some cool things through some Ukrainian believers-on-mission!




2 comments:

Meg said...

sounds fun!! enjoy man!

vickie said...

Awesome... oh, how I love you, little brother, and the God you serve...