Saturday, December 22, 2007

Therapy

Therapeutic- it means "curative"; of or pertaining to the healing of disease. All the other definitions I looked at basically say the same thing.

So I'm launching my "blogspot" in lieu of my beloved World Race blogsite that I suppose I can't keep using forever now that I'm no longer a World Racer! I've been encouraged by family and friends to do so.

Blogging is therapeutic. It's pretty much journaling which is a great spiritual discipline among other things. I've never been a great journal-er. I've tried. I don't like to write . . . on paper that is. It cramps my hands and my penmanship is so bad I can't even read my own writing.

But here I am. I'll try to keep this up at least a couple times a week. I do have LOTS of thoughts these days. I'm trying hard to process the past year. I haven't stayed anywhere (family or friends) for more than 2 days since returning "home"- whatever and wherever that is!

I have a great family and any of them would be happy to have me live with them. I'm welcome for however long I need a place to stay with any of them. The thing is: I don't want to stay with any of them. Hope that doesn't sound too harsh. It has nothing to do with any of them- I just need a place to be "my" home and I need some alone time. I have an offer to "cabin sit" in Alabama near one of my favorite Wilderness Areas sometime after the New Year. I'm pretty sure I'll take the guy up on that offer for about a month. If we weren't heading into Winter I think I would go to Amicalola State Park in Georgia and just start heading North on The Appalachian Trail and quit when I get tired- kinda like Forrest Gump, "I'm through walkin' now."

I remember thinking a bunch of times during The World Race that I would love to go "home" (there's that word again) and just work on my old Jeep. I like tinkering and even though my brother-in-law did a lot of cool work on it while I was gone it's still an "old jeep", which means there's always something to be done. That's therapeutic for me. Except when I bang my hands and break things and start cussing while I'm working on it. I'm not sure that's all that therapeutic. Maybe it is.

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

I love reading your comments, it's like having the family around me. Even tho I have Laurie 23 miles away and Nicole 25 miles away, young life gets in the way of visiting the old folks. So its nice to read what is going on in your part of the world, where ever that may be. I feel like the family is gathered around the table just talking and doing all the games and having fun like when we were little. I did not have the pleasure of seeing you when you "grew" up, but you and your family have always been and will continue to be in my prayers. Loving you in Christ and love haveing you in my family.

Love Evelyn