Saturday, October 18, 2008

My latest book recommendation

Just read this book last week.  Pretty amazing.

I saw an article in a PEOPLE magazine about it and it piqued my interest.

It's pretty much written in first person by Somaly Mam- a Cambodia Woman born just before the Khmer Rouge period in Cambodia in the mid-70's.  After surviving that terrible period in her country's history, she was subsequently sold into sexual slavery.  She surved that too, and for more than 10 years now has been an advocate for others also sold into slavery in SE Asia.

Much of what she wrote about; I've seen with my own eyes.  It's a powerful book  By the way, there's new World Race teams in Cambodia right now.  Pray for them

I really like Cambodia.  If I weren't going to Ukraine I think I would go to Cambodia.



Funny story about buying this book though.  I browsed around in Borders for several minutes and couldn't find a copy.  I finally asked a clerk who looked it up in his computer and informed me the book was in the "Women's Studies" section.  I have to admit, I was a little uncomfortable searching the Women's Studies section for this book!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol...

p.s. I'll look for the book...