Monday, February 16, 2009

Six Weeks Exams...just kidding.

Has it really been six weeks of classes already? I'm in my 6th week. And I think I have a Six Weeks Exam this week. Well, sort of. We're having a fellowship-type event this Thursday. I guess all the first year students have to share...in Russian... a very short testimony. Funny thing...one guy- Mark the practicing Attorney, has a whole page to share. Bruce the artist has a paragraph. I have about 3 short sentences. I asked my teacher today if I should add to it but she said no- that's plenty for me!! In English it amounts to: "My name is Clinton. I'm from America, the State of Mississippi. Now I'm studying the Russian Language. Afterwards I will work in Kiev. Right now I don't know what kind of work I will do." And by golly I can say it in RUSSIAN!! I was also asked to lead some worship in English afterwards.

This past week was sort of eventful I guess. Not really...but. I finally found a street vendor that sells Shaurma. It's a wrap sort of thing with yummy grilled chicken and potatoes inside with cabbage and peppers and sauces. Was a bit pricey at $1.50!

My buddy Darrell carted me around one day to shop for and buy a small TV. I brought my Playstation with me so now I basically have no need for relationships or getting out of the apartment. If I can figure out how to order Pizza by phone, I may never leave.

Classes last Tuesday were cancelled due to flooding (broken pipe) at the school. I ended up tagging along with Darrell and company all day as they (Darrell and some of his IMB staff) hosted a Banquet for some of the Ukrainian young adults at church. One of Darrell's newest guys was in my small group at the IMB Candidate Conference in Richmond last July! Anyway, we cooked (actually, Darrell cooked and I entertained and was entertained by...his kids while he cooked) Chili with all the fixins. There was a lot left over so I ate Chili and Chili Mac all week.

What else? Oh, I got to meet and have coffee with a couple of fellow blog stalkers. Two girls that have lived and worked here in Kyiv for some time now. We all sort of discovered one another through our blogs before I ever moved here. Was nice to actually meet them and I'm looking forward to getting to see more of what they do here. Emily, among other things, leads worship at the International Church (English Service). I'm gonna try to go to church there next weekend. Michelle works with street kids among other things.

So here I am in Week 6. And I have homework to do (between winning World War 2 and the next Mississippi State Football game on Playstation!)

7 comments:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

lol... wow... wish I could be there to hear your speech Thursday... hey... if I call, you can practice on me. I'd love to hear it and pretend to understand. Good to hear you got out and about some this week.

p.s. the shaurma sounds pretty good...

p.s. love you... praying for you always...

Janet T (Clinton's other sister) said...

oooh, please, 6 weeks exams are scary words in my world (though, actually ours are 9 weeks); just the thought of them is enough to make me want to run for the hills, and i'm definitely not kidding about that, unfortunately. Glad to hear that you had such a good week, and had the chance to get out of the apartment and do some socializing, too. It sounds like you are really building a pretty good-sized circle of friends there. I know you'll do just fine with your "exam" on Thursday, and it's great that your teacher has asked you to lead the worship afterwards. By the way, you're welcome to call us and practice your speech also! We'd enjoy hearing your voice even if we don't understand the words! As always, we'll be praying that all your needs are met, the known and the unknown...love you bunches and hope you have a super great week!

Anonymous said...

Ok....I'm sorry little bro...but I'm calling some serious bs on this one.

I totally buy the whole 6 weeks test thing and testimony in Russion. You always were a pretty smart kid.

I even buy the re-winning of WW2.

But winning the next Mississippi State football game.

Not even us hill-billies are falling for that one!

Go Rebs!

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

lol...

Anonymous said...

Welll with you two boys pulling for both major Mississippi teams I guess I better go For the Mize Bull Dogs/Rebs.

Anonymous said...

Or Papaw, you could just be apathetic, like me. Go LSU!!!

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

How'd the speech go? and the English service...