Wednesday, December 9, 2009

O Christmas Tree O Christmas Tree. Ukrainians don't play!

I got to see the Christmas Tree going up in Independence Square today. I guess this is equivalent to the National Christmas Tree. It was fascinating. I'm guessing at least 100 feet tall- maybe the biggest artificial/live hybrid tree ever!!

The "trunk" was a tall steel structure, like a light pole. Fixed along the trunk were hollow pipes of decreasing lengths from bottom to top. Real trees were inserted into the pipes and also strapped to the trunk- in other words...whole, live trees are the "branches" of this artificial tree.

I hope they get it decorated and lit before I leave next week. Check it out!!

3 comments:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

Wow... that is absolutely amazing!

Karen said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.