Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's Alive!


This is my 1981 Jeep CJ 5.  Codename: Bubba

I've owned it (or is it the other way around?) for about 9 years.  It was one of those "sweet" deals- bought it from an old farmer that only drove it around the farm (really) who bought it from an Attorney that only used it at the Hunting Camp in the winter (really).  Or not.  Who knows?  It was in pretty good shape when I got it and it had relatively low miles.

Since then I've near 'bout rebuilt it from the ground up.

Wheels.  Check.
Tires.  Check.
Rebuilt and highly modified motor.  Check.
Bodywork, Paint Prep and Paint Job.  Check.
Custom homemade Dashpanel.  Check.
New Transmission.  Check.
Rebuilt Axles.  Check.
Upgraded Suspension.  Check.
New Seats.  Check.
Winch.  Check.
Replace Wiring.  Check.

But I heard a "Car Guy" on a radio show make a really smart statement a few weeks ago: "Never get emotionally attached to a vehicle".  

I've let so many "things" go over the last few years.  I'm one of the most unencumbered people I know in terms of owning "stuff".  In fact, I'm still divesting myself of stuff.

Well.  Bubba ain't for sale per se.  But when or if the time comes- if letting him go is what I need to do in order to be where God wants me to be, then I'm committed to "not being too emotionally attached" to him.

But I gotta say... on days like today... mid-70's and mostly sunny... top off and running good... it don't get much better.

2 comments:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

Beautiful post... you and Bubba enjoy this weather... you're right... it's perfect...

Thuy said...

Bubba fits you. I think you should keep him. Unless you love Bubba more than God. :)

Hugs, my friend!