Friday, February 3, 2012

It's COLD

Well I completed my quick trip to Kyiv to retrieve some of my "stuff" from storage.

For those of you who were dying to know what was left, well, most of it actually.  My friend gave the Bed away as I expected...and I didn't see my boots either.  I didn't even bother looking at my old guitar after suffering summer heat and winter sub-zero x2; I actually bought a newer, nicer guitar while in Kyiv.  I was happy to retrieve my heavy coat and I had more clothes here than I thought I did.  I can almost dress up now!

My trip to Kyiv was fun.  It was the best train ride I've ever had.  I had a bunk (1 of 4) in a coupe and one of the other passengers spoke English.  That doesn't happen often!  There was married couple too who expressed a lot of interest in what I am doing here.

The big news though is how cold it was in Kyiv (and now is all over Ukraine).  Windchills were/are in the negative 20's.  The Kyiv Post (an English paper in Ukraine) is reporting over 100 cold-related deaths, mostly of homeless people on the street.  There's been several hundred cases of frostbite.

Thinking about the homeless people in the cold...along with having finished A Hole in our Gospel by Richard Stearns has me thinking a lot about my response to beggars and homeless people.  There's a blog brewing but I'm not ready to go there yet.

I also have some other ministry-related thoughts brewing.  I don't know if you've seen it, but the Super Bowl is getting a lot of attention in regard to Human Trafficking.  If you're not aware of the spike that takes place surrounding the Super Bowl, then you need to Google!  So...here's my thought:  If the Super Bowl is such a huge trafficking magnet, then how much more so the 16 Eurocup Soccer Games that Ukraine will host in June and July?

1 comment:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

Wow. That is so much to think about. And pray about