Sunday, March 25, 2012

on the go

I've spent the last 2 weekends on the road.  Good trips.  Last weekend I went with our Pastor and a couple other guys from church to a youth conference near Ivano-Frankivsk, about 4 hours away.  As best as I can tell there were about 6 area churches involved for the one day event.  I wasn't entirely sure what my role was leading up to the event but I was prepared to preach if needed and I knew I was going to present the Introduction to our Youth Ministry Strategy to a group of leaders.  Sure enough, I preached the opening session.  It went alright I guess.  That afternoon I presented our strategy to a room full of youth workers from 5-6 churches.  I thought it went really well.  I know one of the churches is really interested in contracting with us to Coach them but I think money is a little bit of an issue.  And another church that was at the event sent some of their workers to the other conference I attended this past weekend.

This past weekend, the Ukrainian organization I work for- Ruka Dopomogy- sponsored a regional youth leaders training event in Lviv.  Lviv is supposedly the most European city in Ukraine.  The little bit I saw was beautiful.  I'm hoping to go back one weekend soon and just visit.  At the conference I preached on Friday night and then I taught two workshops on "How to Plan a Mission Trip" on Saturday.  We offered 3 different "tracks" for youth workers so there was a variety of things happening.  We had a couple different church worship bands leading worship and they were really good!

A highlight of the weekend was staying with a Ukrainian family.  So...I was staying with the "In Laws" of the brother of one of our partner Youth Ministers.  Got that?  It's easier if I name names.  Ivan is the brother, I was staying with his wife's parents.  Ivan and his wife have a 2 year old girl.  His wife's mother also has a 2 year old girl.  The little Aunt and Niece could almost be twins.  SO CUTE!

On Saturday morning, the Ukraine Director for A21 (an international anti-trafficking organization) spoke.  She presented some great information; I hope we get some good feedback from that.  It's such an important topic here.  One of the crazy statistics she presented was that 80% of repatriated trafficking victims (those who were originally trafficked to another country and eventually sent back to Ukraine) are re-trafficked.  How tragic!  And I bet the number is even higher for victims of domestic trafficking.

I took some pictures but forgot my camera this morning so I'll to post again later this week.  This should be a relatively slow week for me and I'm hoping to nail down some appointments and details because I'm receiving a World Race Team next week!!

1 comment:

vickie (clinton's sister) said...

thanks for the update, clinton... it's amazing to me to see it fall together like it does, but amazing in a "wow-God-is-great" way, not in a "wow-I-wasn't-expecting-that" way. My heart breaks to hear those statistics on trafficking, tho. Being re-trafficked must be a hope-quenching thing. My prayers are ever going out. Keep up the faith!