Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Back Home... for lack of a better way to put it.


So...I was visiting friends in Ohio when Chris Thomas from FBC Aberdeen called and suggested I make the trip over to Baltimore to hang out with him and his students at the Baltimore PowerPlant Project. Not having much of anything else to do, I did. If you read the previous blog, then you know that much already.

I had a great visit with them. Mostly free food (thanks PowerPlant) and a place to lay my Therma Rest.

I was able to visit Chris and his kids at their worksite a couple days. I took a day off to visit nearby Gettysburg National Battlefield. I thought Gettysburg- the town- was a cool place. Very touristy, but in a good way. I was there July 3, which was the anniversary of the actual battle (July 1-3, 1863). The battlefield is huge and encompasses the entire area- town included. I think the Vicksburg Battlefield in Mississippi is a more visitor friendly park though.

The PowerPlant Project was over on Friday morning, July 4. I decided to stay in the area with Chris and his crew. We went to Arlington National Cemetery for a few hours and then we hit some of the memorials on the National Mall. We were able to find a sweet spot at the base of the Washington Monument just under the Mississippi State Flag to watch the July 4 fireworks.

Later that night/early the next morning we received the bad news that my friend Susan Peugh's father had suffered a serious Stroke back home in Mississippi. She was able to find a quick flight out of Baltimore the next morning and arrived in Tupelo in time to be with her mother and brother and his family. Mr Bill Peugh died just after midnight that night. I was about halfway home when he passed away. I was in Aberdeen yesterday for the funeral.

Both Chris and Susan spoke at the funeral. I don't know how she did that. Susan is a veteran and passionate speaker and she gave an incredible tribute to her father. He was an educator for 35 years in the school district and town he himself grew up in. That's what you call "giving back to the community!" I've known him as long as I've known Susan- about 20 years now. He was always a faithful and quiet leader in church as well as the community. In the last several years of his retirement he was very active in mission projects- especially with World Changers. It was a lot of fun to watch and hear of his mission exploits. I guess you could rightfully say he LIVED right up until he died. That's not a bad way to go.

I am back in Mississippi. I'm getting ready to work at Super Summer next week. I'll write more about that in a few days. It's my favorite student camp of all time. After that I'm flying to Washington for a wedding and to Arizona to see a friend. Then I'm off to Richmond, VA to interview with the International Mission Board for an International Service Corps position somewhere in the world.

You can pray for me and my travels and the kids at camp next week...but don't forget to pray for Susan, her mother Jannette and brother Stephen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well its nice.


home loan

Thuy said...

So sad to hear about Susan's dad, Clinton. I'm glad you were able to go to the funeral. - And glad you're at a camp that you love so much. Have a great time at Super Summer! I'm praying for your IMB interview in late July and for God's direction about what's next.