Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Overwhelming Odessa

Today has been a fun day. William, my missionary host took me with him to the Wednesday morning prayer meeting at the Odessa Baptist Seminary. I ran into one of the guys that was a translator for us back in 2004 when I brought a group of high school and college students to Odessa. Vitaliy is now a New Testament Professor at the seminary.

Later in the day I met up with Maxim. We worked with him back in '04 too. He's a great minister, really well respected by all the missionaries. He has so much going on!


The highlight of my side trip to Odessa though was getting to see Katya and Vika and their little brother Yuri. There are always those kids that you just connect with...that you're drawn to.


Back in '04, those kids more than any others were 13 year old Katya and her 10 year old little sister Vika. We conducted a Backyard Bible Club everyday in a field behind their apartment. Even though we couldn't understand a word the other was saying, they were just precious all week long...always smiling and laughing and hugging. I thought they were two of the prettiest sisters I had ever seen.






When I saw Maxim Tuesday night after I arrived I asked him about the girls. To my wonderful surprise he said they were still involved in his ministry. I hoped I would see them. I hoped they would remember me.

Today Maxim gave me a mini-tour of some of the sites we worked on when I was here 4 years ago. The ministry sites are still happening. There are Bible Studies at the gypsy village. There's a small church near "Field of Wonders". While we were walking in that area I overheard Maxim calling Vika on his cell phone. My first thought was, "no way!" My next thought was more of a prayer, "Lord, I hope she remembers me". When she came out of her apartment building to meet us, I extended my hand for a handshake but she went almost immediately for the neck! A hug that is. It was clear to me that she hadn't forgotten me. She's 14 now and still stunning.












Maxim and I accompanied her to her apartment where I met her Mother and Father and baby sister and little brother Yuri (who had also been a part of our ministry 4 years ago- he's 13 now). In a little while, Katya came home from school and we had a similiar reunion.


















She's 17 now and almost finished with Technical High School. They had photo albums with some pictures from our Bible Clubs. I guess Ron (the missionary that was here back then) had given them copies. Not only did they remember me, but as they showed me the pictures they recalled the names of all of our team- Stacy, Jerry, Justin, Sarah Dale (I think Matt and Ben and Sandy were with us too). I had pictures of Stacy and Sarah Dale on my IPod...they were amazed- especially at Sarah Dale...I told them she won the MS Miss Teen thing- the translation was kinda rough so all they know is that she is/was Miss Mississippi. They are so proud!

Tonight I went to Grace Church (where we stayed 4 years ago) with Sophie (she's a missionary kid here now). She told me Luba would be there for Youth Choir Practice. Four years ago when our team was living at the church Luba would come by everyday and just hang out with us. She was maybe 12 years old then. She played the guitar really well and had a beautiful voice. In fact, we ended up taking her with us to our clubs so she could sing and speak to the younger kids at our clubs. I was really surprised and blessed to run into her again 2 years ago when I was in town for just 1 night for the Radooga Student Conference. Of course, I wasn't going to pass up a chance to get to see her again. I was surprised 2 years ago at how much she had grown; and even more surprised tonight. She's a beautiful young girl and man, can she sing!!



It doesn't get much better than this!

1 comment:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

I am SO happy for you...

Wow...