Friday, August 15, 2008

a friend expresses her heart...

A friend of mine wrote the following blog in reference to what's going on between Russian and Georgia. I won't pretend to know everything that's going on in that part of the world; suffice to say that I'm sure it's more complicated that it seems. It's probably impossible to really know who did what based on US News reports alone. That being said- I agree with my friend- I am saddened and ashamed at how the US has become such a self-serving paper tiger. I can't imagine how our other "friends" in the region feel now- other countries that must feel all alone in the shadow of Russia knowing that the US can't be counted on to do anything unless her own oil-starved self interest are served.

With Friends Like These...

I am sorry, Nino, Sophia, and Davit, that my country stands idly by as yours is brutally raped by the bully living at your border.

I am sorry that your plight is buried beneath front page headlines of an overpublicized political race and college football training.

I am sorry that my President continues to chuckle and chat at the Olympic games with the scheming bully of a leader who is presently sending his army tearing across your borders.

I am sorry that you thought our friendship was such that it would merit a response worthy of what you’ve selflessly given us.

I am sorry that what my country stands for is being blown away by an Eastern wind to reveal that it is nothing cheap talk and worthless conviction.

I am sorry that your inspiring democracy stands alone against a tyrant and that the organization you so courageously attempted to join pretends barely notice.

I am sorry that your sovereignty is so shamefully compromised by the country above you who knows nothing save greed for power and energy.

I am sorry that bombs kill your children and destruction threatens your beautiful capital.

I am sorry that America offers only to fly your brave troops home and add none of its own.

I am sorry that I can do nothing but wish in vain that my country would step in and stand by one of its most proven allies.

I am sorry and I am shamed. And I pray for you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen...

Anonymous said...

Why not do something more productive than spewing contempt for the United States government who, if you hadn't noticed, has a lot on it's plate. And lets drag soldiers who are all ready over worked and over extended into a battle that isn't ours to begin with. You are probably of the same mind that what America did in Iraq was wrong and yet you demand that America do something about Georgia. Complete hypocrisy!

Ministry Happens in Ukraine said...

Complete hypocrisy? Really? Really? Based on what pray tell? I find it hard to believe your read and understood my preface nor do I think you understand the heart of what my friend said in her blog.

That being said- who are you? Leave a name for crying out loud. At least I I'm not afraid to put my name on my opinions.