Monday, September 8, 2008

Rosetta Stone- Day 1


I guess it will take a few days to fine-tune a workable schedule.  I learned a lesson today though…and it wasn’t from Rosetta Stone either!  It’s a lesson I’ve known for many years but apparently had forgotten.  The lesson:  Don’t plan anything mentally taxing for the afternoon!

I think my original plan was to be awake by 8 am, have breakfast and some worship time followed by language study with Rosetta Stone until noon.  Then in the afternoon I can go play in the water or ride my bike or go to the gym or whatever.

However, today I didn’t get out of bed until 9 today (I’m sure no one is surprised), had breakfast and some worship time and then went for an hour long kayak excursion.  It was pretty steamy-hot even at 10:30 am and I guess it sapped me pretty good.  I made it back to the house and showered and sat down for language study at 1:00 pm. 

Bad Idea!

I made it an hour before falling asleep.  First on the couch and then under a blanket on the bed!  I should know better than try to study in the afternoon.  Maybe early in the morning…probably moreso later at night.  That’s how I roll.

In any case, I’m off to a less-than-encouraging start.  If I can master Rosetta Stone I’ll definitely have a head-start on the Russian Language by the time I get to Ukraine in January.  And I’m really not beating  myself up too much for having such a hard time on my first day.

But gosh…I spent an hour repeating the same 8 or 10 words and it seemed like as soon as I exited the program I couldn’t recall but one or two of those words!  What’s that about? 

4 comments:

Elysa said...

It's about being middle aged! Sad, but true. I've been trying to learn a little siSwati here and there as I can. And believe me, things that I used to know in my journeyman days are long gone and the new things I'm trying to learn just don't stick very well.

Sigh......

Courtney said...

You'll get there with the language, and once you're IN Ukraine it will stick even more!

For some contacts in Ukraine, get in touch with Kenny and Lora Payne. They are in Gorlovka, Donetsk region, on the far east side of the country. They are missionaries from FL and have been living in Ukraine for several years. Their blog is http://crossculturegorlovka.blogspot.com. They have an orphan ministry with a local hospital and are building a foster family center as well as working in their community.

Courtney said...

BTW, our boys were adopted from Slaviansk last Dec and we stayed in an apt in Gorlovka owned by Lora and Kenny. They are wonderful! :) Just thought I'd explain the connection. :)

Cara Denney said...

Ok, no offense to Elysa, but it's not necessarily being middle-aged. :) Although, I agree, language learning is tougher the older you are. But in worldwide language rating, Russian is a4 on a scale of 1-5...5 being most difficult! My Russian teacher in America always said this quote.. "You cannot embrace the unembraceable...you never LEARN Russian, you are always learning it!" Don't be discouraged. Some people have a gift for languages, some don't. So for some it comes easier, some not. BUT just be faithful, keep going, and don't confuse language skill with fruit in ministry. The Holy Spirit brings fruit with or without language skill (Honestly, I have seen it happen!) but language skills are just one more tool God can use. It WILL get easier! Just keep being faithful. The main thing Ukrainians are encouraged by is that you are TRYING. And don't lean too hard on the idea that it will be better when you get here. Don't want to discourage you, but you may (like so many) get so busy with ministry that language study falls in the cracks, OR you make a lot of English speaking acquaintences (believe me, they will find you!). SO...(sorry! This is past "commenting" this is like blogging on someone else's blog!) anyway...just keep going and be faithful, plugging away, God WILL be faithful, too! In regards to your heart, more than anything! Grace to you!