Sunday, May 30, 2010

Haiti Bound

I've been enjoying a full weekend with family in Vicksburg.  My youngest niece from Atlanta is here (her birthday was a few days ago) and my Dad has a birthday next week... and of course, this is Memorial Day weekend.  Pretty much all the immediate family except one nephew is here.  All the rug-rats are here too (I have 6 great-nephews and 2 great-nieces all under age 9)!  It's been fun.

And...I guess it's my going-away party too.  I'm leaving.  On a jet plane.  Don't know when I'll be back again.... the John Denver tune breaks down at this point because in fact, I don't "hate" to go.  I'm ready to go.  And I do know when I'll be back again (Lord willing) because I have a return ticket for the end of August.

I'm headed to Haiti first thing tomorrow morning.  After a circuitous route from Jackson, MS to Charlotte, NC to Miami, FL...I should arrive in Port Au Prince, Haiti tomorrow afternoon.  I'll be there 3 months serving with my friends from Adventures in Missions.

We have a full summer ahead.  Mostly, I'll live in a rented house (formerly a small hotel) with a weekly-variable number of other AIM Staff.  My work will probably focus primarily on pastoring and supporting the staff.  Together we will host and serve upwards of 800 volunteers throughout the summer.  Hey?  Want to come to Haiti...you can join a team or come as in individual...not just with a group from your church!

Want to know more?  Check out these resources:

Adventures in Missions-Haiti
Adventures in Missions- Haiti/Blog
Church to Church on Facebook-
Seth Barnes' blog about Church to Church-

In short- part of the big-picture vision AIM has for serving in Haiti is for Haitian Pastors to Spiritually Re-Father the Nation in the wake of the massive earthquake that shook Haiti's physical and spiritual foundations. Now it's time to rebuild- physically and spiritually.  Your Church could be a huge part of that re-building process.  It's not about an American church dumping cash in Haiti- it's about real partnership where long-term Discipleship is more important than anything we can build with hammers and nails.

Is that something you want to be a part of?

6 comments:

Amber Cockrell said...

so. i've been singing leaving on a jet plane all weekend. :) praying for you! this summer is going to be incredible. REAL discipleship. rebuilding. good times.

ASTRA REED said...

WELL, Really a great job and intresting things which u have shared really keep it up...

Karen said...

Awesome!! Praying for you!

Thuy said...

Clinton, have an amazing time and take it all in. I'm sure it will be sobering. I'm so glad that you have this opportunity! Love you!

Marissa said...

I know you're excited to spend time serving in Haiti! I can't wait to read all about your time there. Will be praying for you. Love you!

Daddy and Big Sister said...

We love you, Clinton, and hope you got there with no hitches or problems and are all settled in. We also miss you very much. We're back at home (Daddy's house) and it's empty without you, so you gotta know we'll be excited when you get back. Till then, have a wonderful time, a safe time, a memorable time, a blessed fruitful time. We know that wherever you go and whatever you do, people will see and hear and feel God's presence in you, and that's an awesome thing.
May God be with you every step of the way. Love and prayers always...