Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Recently Read and/or Reading

The New Testament- The Church I attended while in Kyiv promoted NT60- a challenge to read the New Testament in 60 days (works out to about 5 chapters a day) back in January and February.  I did it.  Then I did it again.  And I’m working on it again. 

Clancy- I’ve been on a Tom Clancy kick for a few months.  Actually, I’ve been on an “anything Russian/Ukrainian” spy novel kick and most of Clancy’s stuff at least touches on that.  I’ve read Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, Hunt For Red October, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, and The Sum of All Fears in the last several months.  I bought most of the ones I haven’t read yet at a Thrift Store a few weeks ago for a Buck apiece.

Winds of War, Herman Wouk- Epic story leading up to World War 2.  I’ve been on a thrift store kick for a few months too and I picked up a hard-cover First Edition for a couple Bucks.

The Russia House, John Le Carre- Another Russian/British/American Spy Novel…also a thrift store find.

What The Dog Saw, Malcolm Gladwell- This guy connects dots better than just about anyone- it’s a book I’ve picked at for a few months.

Victory Over Darkness, Neil Anderson- I read this about once a year just to be reminded who I am.

The Mean Streets of L.A., Roger Walker- Roger is a missionary friend currently in Thailand.  I got to read the manuscript.  It’s due to be published later this year.

Adopted for Life, Dr. Russell Moore- I went to Seminary with Russ; we were both Youth Minister’s in the same town.  This is probably a good intro to the Theology of Adoption for the Church.

Radical, David Platt- Just got it today and will dig into it this week…expecting it to be better than Francis Chan’s Crazy Love (which I read last Fall).

The Starfish Manifesto, Wolfgang Simson- This is an online thing that’s floating around…it’s free.  The subtitle is “A Prophetic Roadmap for an Apostolic Journey”.

Missions Dilemma, Steve Saint- AMAZING and challenging DVD and book about the good and bad of missions.

Priceless, Tom Davis- Tom is a friend and this is his 2nd novel (following Scared).  It’s out June 1 so I’ll have to have someone bring me a copy to Haiti.

20000 Leagues Under The Sea, Jules Verne- Another thrift store find…will go to Haiti with me.

3 comments:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

Great reading list. I've read some of those and will check out others. When are you heading for Haiti? For how long? Wish I could go with you. Loving you and praying for you always...

Karen said...

I LOVE book lists! Thanks for posting this. I've wondered about Anderson's "Victory Over Darkness" but have never read it - I'll have to check it out. Praying for you while you are in Haiti. Keep us updated as you are able.

Thuy said...

Majorly impressed by this list, Clinton. Way to go!

I just started reading a fiction book two days ago, called "Still Alice" (about a Harvard pscyhology professor who is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimers disease). I am going to finish it tonight; it's that good. Oh, and I RARELY FINISH BOOKS I START, so this is a major win for me. :)

Praying for you as prepare for your summer in Haiti. I am so happy that you get to go. How could it not be life-changing?!

Hugs!