Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Let me tell you about something that fires me up

I was on the road again today.  I semi-scheduled a few visits (I'm raising support to go to Ukraine, right?) but they were all "lite" visits- more social and soft-sell and about nurturing relationships than about getting money.

I spent a few minutes with a Pastor-friend that I admire a lot.  Bro Hal was my Pastor in Amory for about 10 months back in the late 80's.  I've probably seen him one time since then and that was before 1997!  He's a great guy and we enjoyed our brief visit.  After all these years I really didn't want to hard-sell my support goals but I know he and his wife will prayerfully consider supporting me anyway.

After that I stopped by another nearby church where I know practically the whole staff.  Tommy, Mark, Nick and Rusty.  They are great guys, great friends (ok, I just met Rusty today but I've known Nick all his life and Tommy and Mark for several years!)  Again, no hard sell with them- just a social visit.  I appreciate their hearts and just wanted to connect with them for a few minutes.

I had lunch with another buddy that I worked with on a volunteer basis doing Campus Ministry back in my Gulfport days.  It was good to catch up with Kevin and good to hear his continued passion for youth ministry.

I had ice cream with a former youth- Heather-who just had all her wisdom teeth removed!  She was sporting some serious chipmunk cheeks!

I visited my old church and got to hear another of my former "youths" leading tonight's Bible study.  Will did a great job.

The highlight though was visiting with my friend Jamie.

Jamie was in maybe the 8th or 9th grade when I left Gulfport at the end of 2006.  She was fired-up about her relationship with Christ back then.  She still is today; even moreso.  Her passion is mature and focused.  Her heart is for the Nations.  She just got back to the States after living in Indonesia for the summer.  With very limited internet access and staying a whole 2 months- she was able to not only get out of America, but she was able to get America out of her.  We could all stand that kind of de-tox!

We talked.  And we kept talking.  And we walked to our cars and kept talking.  And it occurred to me as we were trying to say goodbye that I could talk to her and listen to her passion for the Nations all night long.  I LOVE spending that kind of time with someone.  I think I love it even more when it's a student.  It doesn't hurt that in a small way I can claim she's one of "mine" (Thank you Jesus for letting her be in my life and me in hers!).  That fires me up!

2 comments:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

Ahhhhhhhh... Godly fire... now, that's the kind of fire that keeps us from growing cold... yay, God!

Meg said...

I LOVE THAT KID :)
I am chatting with her quite soon. She is a wonderful girl!