Sunday, April 29, 2012

World Racers in Uzhgorod

Back in 2009 when I lived in Kiev all year I helped with 3 different World Race Squads.  But this month I did more than provide introductions and a little logistical help; this time I hosted a Team in my apartment for most of the month.



Team Sound of Strength is beginning their 9th month with Z Squad.  That's meaningful to me...I was Squad Leader for A Squad back in 2007.  Crazy huh?

I had a blast hosting them and they were well received all over town (and it was fun being "daddy" for a few weeks!)

It was important to me that they weren't just doing "busy work" while here in Uzhgorod.  Maybe it felt that way at times but maybe it's always like that.  I really wanted to use them in a very strategic way, particularly in terms of launching a ministry to college students at a local university.  However, I wasn't able to get everything in place in time for them to begin what will (Lord willing) become a "BSU/BCM" type ministry among International Students when the university starts back in the Fall.

But they definitely extended my "presence" here in Uzhgorod.  Because of them I was able to begin a relationship with a handful of other ministries in town.  The girls (Sound of Strength is an all girl team!) helped teach English classes and Bible Studies with an existing ministry in town where they made friends that resulted in invitations to hang-out socially which opened the door to really share about what they are doing  (and why) on The World Race.



They held abandoned babies at a local hospital.  Check that.  They did more than hold abandoned babies.  They caressed and cared for abandoned babies.  They prayed and prophesied and sang over and cried over those babies.



They made friends with and helped minister to the teenagers at my church.



From their own meager financial resources they sponsored a couple of weekly feeding programs for street kids.


I stole some of these pictures from World Racer Jessica Fischbach.  Check out here photo-blog.

And they aren't finished yet:  After debriefing in Budapest, Hungary for a couple days they will go to Guatemala and spend 3 months in Central America before going home.  Remember them in your prayers and follow them at www.theworldrace.org.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful being able to do ministry in Ukraine this past month. You were such a blessing to our team and it is apparent that God is doing big things in Uzhgorod. It was so nice having a "dad" for a month along with some delicious home cooked meals! Thank you for blessing us so greatly and I will continue to pray for you,

Maggie

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

Clinton... this makes my heart glad... I love you...