Friday, January 18, 2013

Passion. People.

Being a Doorholder at Passion really doesn't leave much time to visit with people.  It's a sacrifice you make.  But I was fortunate this year that my work schedule allowed me to visit with some friends.  Some of them I only saw for a few moments and really, I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked with ANY of them.  But the time I had was special nevertheless.

My friend Kelsea tracked me down on the first day and then went out of her way to visit with me everyday!  Who is Kelsea?  I love stories like this.  Back in the summer of 08 I spoke at a camp in Pittsburg, PA (I think) and Kelsea was there with her church from Alabama.  I worked at 4 camps that summer and Kelsea is one of just a handful of kids I've stayed in touch with.  She has a great heart for Jesus and the Great Commission and it's a joy to get to be a part of her life.


Another couple of friends I got to visit with were Jessica and Britni.  They were World Racers that stayed with me here in Ukraine back in April of last year.  Jessica and I started plotting back then to get together at Passion 2013 and we did it!!








Of course I got to spend some time with the college kids from Zion Hill Baptist Church and their amazing adult leaders, my life-friends Stik and his sister Janet.  This is a group I didn't get to spend as much time with as I would have liked; I wish I could have been with them as they were unpacking all that God was doing during the conference but I'm happy to have spent at least some time with them.

Finally, I got to spend a little bit of time with the Dorris family and with their awesome oldest daughter, Grace, who along with her friends Rob and MiKayla joined our little group from Zion Hill for the week. Lamar and I were roommates at MSU.  We both majored in Wildlife and our paths use to cross occasionally back when I worked for the State.  His wife Julie was also at MSU and if she'd spent any more time at our apartment back then we probably would have charged her rent.  All that to say: we go way back!  Thing is... I left "Wildlife" work almost 20 years ago and moved to the Coast where I went to seminary and got married and just fell out of touch with Lamar and Julie (and others).  One of the benefits of being a faith-supported missionary is that tracking down old friends is part of the job.  I'm so glad I reconnected with the Dorris' back in 2011 before I moved to Ukraine.  I'm so glad to have them back in my life and as a bonus I had the pleasure of sharing some time at Passion with Grace, who is a really incredible young lady after God's heart.






5 comments:

Janet Tuttle said...

so glad you were able to spend some time with friends while at Passion!! miss you and love you!! xoxox

Anonymous said...

Awww shucks, Clipper. We feel the same way. It's been such a blessing to reconnect with you. It was so good to see you at Passion. We cannot thank you, Janet, and Stik for taking in Grace and friends with the Zion Hill group. Grace and Tonya are friends for life now!

Enjoy all that snow in Ukraine!

Love ya,

Julie

Anonymous said...

PS: I have so many happy memories from MSU and AA. But how did you put up with me in college??? I was such a spoiled brat!

And y'all were just the nicest group of Christians. It was really amazing to have such a cool group of guys who were sooo much fun without any bad stuff going on.

Impressive!!!

Just laying in bed last night going down memory lane again...

Love ya again,

Julie

Ministry Happens in Ukraine said...

Ha. Julie, there's something about age that makes us remember all the good stuff. Either that, or we must have been on our best behavior when you were around. Probably a good thing you were around as much as you were!! Probably kept us out of trouble!

Anonymous said...

Clinton, just had to tell you what happened last night. I was already in bed with our three doggies. Beth came in with her Ukrainian egg that you gave her. She wanted to have a special prayer time for you. I can't promise what the doggies prayed exactly, but they did have their heads bowed and eyes closed. You were Beth's show and tell for Sunday school this morning. She took her egg and a picture of you. You've made a friend for life!

Julie