Tuesday, January 18, 2011

One Old Breakfast Table...now on Craigslist. Let's try this:

Do you remember that game, "Bigger and Better", where you trade something you have for something bigger and better? Can you believe a guy out West, through a series of trades, parlayed his Red Paperclip for a HOUSE to live in? (http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/)?

I'm inspired by that guy. I'm currently raising funds to work as a Christian Missionary in Ukraine. I need to raise more than $48,000 to fund two years of ministry. Here's what I want to do: I'd like to trade my antique English Breakfast Table for something bigger or better. It's appraised at $2500.00. Whatever I trade for, I'll keep trading "up" until I can fund two years' ministry.

Here's the description of the table:

This is an Cuban Mahogany English Victorian Breakfast table made in England circa 1870s to 1880s. If the table is restored and finished with a French polish it will sell for more money. Most dealers who sell English Antiques may be interested in this type of table. The knob on the bottom of the base is a assembly technique used to hold to finial in place, the space at the top of the base and under the top is not a storage space it is just the construction technique used on all the same type of tables.

It's in pretty good, used condition. Has many scuffs and scratches but still very charming and useable. The table top is cracked along one edge (could be glued back and refinished and would not be noticeable).

* Current Fair Market Value: $2500

** Replacement Cost: $4500


It was given to me and my late wife as a wedding gift in 1997. The previous owner was the US Ambassador to Barbados during the Reagan years and I think (but can't prove) that the table once resided there.

You might want to just buy it. I guess I could do that. But technically, if you sent the money directly to the ministry and not to me then the IRS stipulates that I can only give a "donor" a gift of 15% of the value of the donor's gift- meaning if I were to give you a $2500 gift in exchange for a "donation" to the ministry, then your gift would have to be $16666. Make sense?

I can sell it directly and use the funds for ministry but ideally I want to trade "up". That's the plan.

Email me and I'll send you more information about the ministry with links to my blogsite and ministry web address (clinton@clintonwhite.net)



1 comment:

vickie said...

What an amazing concept... here's praying God stirs this up and turns your table into two years of ministry in Ukraine... oh, my... more than two years...