Sunday, January 15, 2012

Layover Budapest.

Ok, it isn't really a layover.  I flew from Atlanta to London (First Class I might add!  It was only the 2nd time in my life that I flew 1st Class.  Pretty awesome.  And no, I didn't pay for that.  I flew on a Buddy Pass because my awesome youngest niece is a Flight Attendant!)  I had a 12 hour layover in London so I visited the Churchill War Planning Underground Museum, Westminster Abbey and the Tate Britain Art Museum.

The Churchill Museum is pretty cool.  Westminster Abbey is amazing except you can't take pictures.  Really?  Get over yourself!  Anyway, I especially like Poet's Corner in the Abbey where I recognized the names of dozens of writers who are buried there.  I guess my favorite discovery was the tomb of David Livingstone.



I like Art Museums but I don't really "get" art; especially modern and/or abstract art and there was a lot of that at Tate.

At the end of the day I flew on into Budapest where my friend Darrel Hathcock picked me up at the airport at 11 pm.  Since then (4 nights now) I've been staying with his family on the outskirts of Budapest.  I had big plans to see the sights while in town but you know what?  It's just been to darn cold!  It's been terribly windy since I've been here bringing the windchill down into the teens and single digits.  You know what else?  I will be living close enough to here (5 hours by train) that I can come back anytime I like in the Spring, Summer or Fall!  I do plan to spend some time in the National Museum tomorrow though.  It's all indoors!  Darrel is giving me a ride to the Ukrainian border Tuesday.  I should be there shortly after lunch.

I enjoyed two good worship services today.  We went to Calvary Chapel in downtown Budapest this morning.  It was an awesome mixture of English and Hungarian.  Nice diverse crowd...and by crowd, I mean packed house!!  This evening church was more of a fellowship/bible study with mostly IMB Missionaries.  It was good to meet some of them though.  Who knows how our paths may cross in the future.



I'm ready to get on into Ukraine though.  Ready to get settled in to "my place" and start figuring out my job and what I will need to do to learn the language.  I'm glad to be here.

My next post will be from Ukraine.

No comments: