Friday, March 14, 2008

Delayed...it's better than being Denied.

The best laid plans. I remember when I first booked my flight that there were several itineraries that arrived at London Gatwick Airport and then connected to Athens via Heathrow Airport. I remember thinking, “man, what a pain in the butt that would be to arrive at one airport and have to collect your luggage and get to the other airport!”

Well. Yeah, it is. A pain in the butt that is.

My flight from Charlotte, NC last night was delayed over an hour. That coupled with the less than efficient manner in which we were processed through customs here in London this morning means I missed my connection to Athens. (Why did I even have to clear customs? I should have been able to go directly to the international terminal for my flight to Athens…alas, it’s just not set up that way).

So, here I sit in a coffee shop in Gatwick Airport. I packed my power adapter in my checked luggage so I don’t think I’ll be able to play on the computer very long.

US Airways gave me a voucher for a meal and transportation to Heathrow. They said I can get my luggage in about an hour. We’ll see.

I did have fun in Charlotte though. My World Race friend Tana visited with me for nearly 2 hours and Katie called me. The flight itself was pretty uneventful. It was full and it seems like it was the most crowded and cramped overseas flight I’ve ever been on. It was pretty uncomfortable.

I’ll arrive in Athens after 10 tonight. I suppose it will take a while to clear customs there so it could be a late night. I emailed my contact there; I’ll play it by ear as to whether I want to try to find the place in the dark or just get a hotel room for tonight.

The Mississippi Team (FBC Clinton) won’t arrive until early Sunday evening.

1 comment:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

Wow... you might, just might be even better at me when it comes to taking the "scenic route" for practically everything... hmmm... well, yeah, you might be... altho I never attempted anything as big as the things you do... other than just getting lost, my biggest was going to the airport and went to the gate that was my seat number, not my gate number, and waited all day for a plane that never arrived... altho I do admit I wondered why nobody else was there... lol...

You're in my prayers, little brother... hope everything else goes a good bit easier and more in plan...

I love you...