Sunday, March 2, 2008

Not a bad weekend, not bad at all, except for . . .


Friday Night. I spent my last night in Alabama at the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center for the traveling Broadway Production of CAMELOT starring Lou Diamond Phillips as King Arthur. It's a great story- you know how I love the whole Knight in Shining Armor thing. Of course, the Knight in Shining Armor was Sir Lancelot. The guy that played him was wonderful- he really created a completely smarmy French guy you love to hate and hate to love. The set and costumes were colorful and engaging, the orchestra was flawless. The script was funny and well-paced. And dare I say it... ok, no I won't call it a "date", but I did go with a friend and it was enjoyable.

Saturday. The weather was AMAZING! It was just hitting 72 degrees just after noon when I hid my Kayak under the Hwy 69 Bridge north of Jasper and then drove 7 miles downstream to park my Jeep. I then biked back to my Kayak and hid my bike and began the 4.5 mile trip down Blackwater Creek. Note to self: The GPS is cool for checking distances but it doesn't do much giving you the actual condition of the creek in question. So...I was kayaking blind, having never been on this river before. Funny thing happened: I flipped the Kayak within 20 seconds of entering the water! Yep, embarrassing. But seeing as how I didn't want to ride the bike back, I just kept on. Now...Why did I have my phone and camera with me? To take pictures of course and to call someone if I got into trouble...like if I flipped my Kayak or fell and couldn't get up. Hopefully, it will be a while before I'm that stupid again! The phone is somewhere in the creek still. The camera I think is rusting on the passenger seat of my Jeep. My new number in case you haven't heard is 601 954 8542.

At places the Blackwater Creek is Class 3. That's not too crazy or anything, but I think my Old Town Otter is really rated for Class 2 water. It was FUN and BEAUTIFUL. There were crazy sandstone bluffs and granite boulders. There was some sort of stone house built into the side of a cliff near the Boy Scout Camp. It was an awesome day even if it did cost me a lot more than I dreamed it would!

Sorry for not posting an original picture. The camera wouldn't cooperate...so here's some stock footage!




Sunday: After spending the night with my sister and mother, I went to First Baptist Church in Aberdeen to see my friend Chris and some other friends. It was fun seeing some people I haven't seen in nearly 20 years. On the way to Jackson from Amory, I found that I was in Starkville just as Mississippi State was throwing the first pitch in their rubber game with Air Force. So it was well worth $7.00 to catch some 70+ degree weather and an hour of MS State's pounding of Air Force Academy. It just doesn't get any better than a sunny day at Dudy Noble Field!

1 comment:

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

wow... what an eventful weekend... don't give up on carrying a cell phone, tho... you can put it in a baggie... that's what we did when we went white-water rafting... hate that about your camera, tho... reminds me of going canoing up in the Ozarks 30 years ago and tipping the canoe in the whitewater because we were going too fast and I thought I could reach out and grab a limb to slow us down... lol... it slowed us down alraight... down into the water... altho now I think about it, it didn't actually slow us down any... just separated us from the canoe and everything else... we did recover the canoe and one of the paddles a good ways downstream, but lost everything else... it was scary while it was happening, but great fun in the reminiscing...

way too cool that you went to a play, and with a friend... that one sounds good... my favorite one I've been to so far is The King and I... 25 years ago down in New Orleans... when Yul Brynner was still alive and playing the part...

love you, little brother... God bless...