Thursday, March 13, 2008

Empty Handed

Empty handed. During The World Race we used to talk about standing before God, palms up, saying "I got nothing"- an expression of offering all we are and all we have (which isn’t much- thus the “empty” hands”).

I sit here in the Jackson, MS airport terminal looking at my empty left hand. This is the first day since May 31, 1997 that I haven’t worn a wedding band. Yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of Kim’s homegoing.

I remember reading an article about “wedding ring” etiquette several months ago. The advice columnist said one should wear a wedding band after the death of a spouse for as long as one still feels married.

That was definitely the case for me right up until about the time I came home from The World Race. Until then I wasn’t even interested in being interested in anyone. I think I’m slowly turning a corner- I think I could be interested at this point. It’s not like I woke up this morning though and some switch had clicked on or off; like I still felt married yesterday but not today. It’s just a decision I made.

It feels strange and it looks strange though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. I thought about you all day yesterday. I love you. I'll be praying for you. Have a good trip. Have fun. Tell Susan we said hello. love, Mom

Patti said...

Just remember.....taking the ring off doesn't mean you forget ....It means you have the courage to go on....

Vickie (Clinton's sister) said...

Amen!

loving you, little brother...

Janet T (Clinton's other sister) said...

Bless you, Clinton, you deserve happiness and joy in every part of your life, and it is my prayer that God will lead you to another special woman to love and be loved by, and to share your life with. And not to rush you or anything, but the sooner it happens the better! I love you, janet

Anonymous said...

Your one of my favorites.
Until all have heard.
Shannon