Monday, January 12, 2009

I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO LOST

First day of class.

Pretty much all in Russian; very little English.

I was only vaguely familiar with the Russian alphabet and what I was familiar with were ALL CAPS, not the lowercase.  

The teacher started writing on the board in Cursive...and cursive, both the large caps and the lowercase are different in many cases from the ALLCAP BLOCK LETTERS I thought I knew already.

I've never felt like such an idiot.  I was so lost that it was just hilarious.  Nevermind the fact that she was already hitting verb tenses and such or that I really couldn't read her handwriting all that well which made if really difficult to take notes.  I guess I'm gonna have to translate my notes before I can do anything.

I know what I'll be doing tonight and tomorrow before class!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

owie... I'll be praying for the sweet Holy Spirit to breathe on you and help you to understand and speak that unknown tongue... :)

Thuy said...

Hmm...I wonder which one is harder to learn...Vietnamese or Russian! One day at a time, my friend. Right? - Praying for you!

Janet T (Clinton's other sister) said...

that's about how I felt last year in algebra first semester! I remember copying a lot of things off the board even though I didn't have a clue what it meant, what to do with it, or anything...all I could do was copy and pray that I'd be able to make sense of it later. Learning algebra sounds pretty simple now, compared to learning Russian! Is there any way you can videotape whatever the teacher writes on the board so you can try to decipher it later? that would probably require more video capability than you've got available, though. I hope and pray that you have a better day tomorrow and that each day it becomes easier and easier to understand and learn the language. love you always, janet

Bro. Rob said...

Hi Clinton, Rob Westbrook from LifePointe Church in Amory, Mississippi here. Wanted to let you know I'm praying for you and excited about your ministry in Ukraine. Your mom keeps me up to date on you. Drop me an email sometime.