Sunday, January 18, 2009

Week 2 Begins


Quite a week.  Quite a roller-coaster.

I wrote already about my first day of class.  It was terrifying.  The rest of the week wasn't much better but what can you do?  You have to have a good attitude. . . and a sense of humor.  Of course I'm going to be completely lost.  It's RUSSIAN for crying out loud!  I now have a total of 10 hours of classroom instruction.  Give me a Russian dictionary and I can probably figure things out. Is that amazing or what?  I'm like a first grader. . .at the beginning of the year no less . . . but I can sort of read and write in Russian.  Crazy.

This past Wednesday (my day off from school) I joined most of the IMB guys here for their weekly prayer breakfast and I stuck around for a training session they were doing comparing Catholicism and the Orthodox Church here.  There are about a dozen college-aged short term (4 months) and 2 year missionaries here right now; most of them just getting ready to start their ministry.  So it was fun to meet them and some other ministry leaders.

Friday after class, one of my classmates and his wife (Mark and Charlene) treated me to dinner at a local restaurant and homemade Apple Pie at their flat afterwards.

Oh, and I got to visit with my friend Lori for a few minutes on Thursday I think.  I've known here since my trip here in 2006.  She's in Poltava working with orphans and was in town for a bit the other day.  I  might get to see her again this coming weekend.

Yesterday and today I slept late.  I skipped church this morning, but I did have a really good devotional time and worship time of my own (I bought a guitar yesterday!).  Today I ventured out into the beautiful snowy day to get some groceries.  So far, eating has been cheaper than I originally budgeted for.  I've probably not spent more than $40.00 since I got here.  And my guitar was less than $90.00 too.

Sigh.  The roller coaster.  It has been.  Thanks to those of you that have emailed me, facebooked me or commented on the blog to encourage me, and thanks for your continued prayers.  I need prayers to be disciplined in my homework and to have an eager and good attitude in class.  I need prayers to be bold enough to start trying to actually speak the language (this is really hard for me.  I can write a mean blog but I can also go a few months without talking to anyone without really trying- I'd make a good hermit).  I still have some issues back home that are ... not far from my thoughts.  I'm not here to run from them; I'm here to keep moving forward rather than sitting still and waiting.  I appreciate your prayers for my unspoken prayer request.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Son , I had to take a second look at your Picture,but have to say it looks great--bet you get some coments on that one our pastor a special prayer for you this morning.
Your coat looks like it is a warm one, it is really nice here today warm and sunny.
Love Daddy.

Anonymous said...

Awesome picture and post. Where you are and what you're doing is so far removed from my daily life that it's hard to imagine without the word pictures you draw. You look great! One of the attorneys here at my office told me yesterday that many, many years ago, before you were born, when he was in college, he minored in the Russian language... can't remember more than a couple of words now because he hasn't used it since then, but he remembers it was hard and he's very impressed that you're tackling it. You're in our prayers, hearts and thoughts always... love you...

Karen said...

I'm definately praying for you. Thanks for keeping us updated via the blogosphere and Facebook!

Janet T (Clinton's other sister) said...

there must be a hermit-tendency gene in the family (at least in our generation) because you could have easily been describing me instead of yourself. for that matter, john probably has it, too.

Anonymous said...

I think that is one of your all-time great pics bro.

Sounds like you got a handle on everything. But remember that big bro is here. I got your back...all the way.

Anonymous said...

hey there...just wanted to let you know im praying for you...hang in there with the language...its frustrating in the beginning (especially the cursive) but surprisingly it starts to just click after a while..push yourself to practice...its the best way to learn...but remember to take breaks from the language...thats important too