Monday, November 19, 2012

30 Days of Blogging. Day 19, That's Stupid!

Don't tell anyone, but my driver's license expired the first of this month.

It's stupid, really!

I knew when I came over here earlier this year that it would expire while I was here.  I went to a local DPS Office late last year and explained the situation to them. What I wanted was to go ahead and get a new license (they're good for 4 years, right?).

NOPE.  Not so fast.  They couldn't do that.  Why not?  I don't know, but it's stupid!

They could replace a lost or stolen license, no problem...with one that would expire on my original expiration date.  That's stupid!

I could renew online...except that I can't renew online because I've had a Commercial Driver's License for more than 20 years and you can't renew the Commercial Driver's License online, something to do with the Patriot Act, I'm sure...and that's stupid!

I offered to turn-in my Commercial License and just have a regular driver's license...I'd be ok if I never drove a church bus again, right?  But it didn't matter.  Even if I have a regular DL...because I ONCE had a Commercial DL...I can never renew online.  That's stupid!

Oh, and I didn't even mention that because I have a CDL and because of new federal laws that even though my CDL is good for 4 years I'm supposed to have a complete Physical every 2 years and a particular certificate to prove it.  Ie, the CDL itself is no good without a current certificate of health.  I used to drive a Church Bus, not fly a Commercial Jetliner.  That's stupid!

So.  When I arrive back in Atlanta next month on a Friday night.  I will be unable, I'm sure, to rent a car because I won't have a valid license.  I have every intention of being in Mississippi that following Sunday which means I'm going to be driving without a license for at least the weekend.

And I know.  That's stupid.




No comments: