Friday, November 2, 2012

30 Days of Blogging. Day 2. Birthday part 2

I still really haven't decided on a theme for the month.  I like some of the randomness of the online lists and I like the idea of simply commenting on some quiet time stuff.  I'm actually working on a survey of Galatians that I'm teaching the youth group this week and next. 

But for today, I'll write about my birthday.

To begin with, my upstairs neighbor, my landlords 17 year old son, Roma had the brilliant idea that we should go to Lviv for my birthday.  He decided this MONTHS ago...coincidentally my birthday was the opening day for the new James Bond movie, Skyfall.  So this morning, in order to catch the 5:43 am commuter train to Lviv I was up at 4:20.

Roma overslept.  We BARELY made it to the train on time.  We had to run from the Taxi to the train.  I'm too old for that!

Roma's sister Ira and our friend Katya went with us.  Ira sings and plays keyboard in our worship band and Katya sings and plays guitar, too.  A few minutes into our train ride the girls disappeared and re-appeared with a homemade Pizza complete with a dozen candles.  Why a dozen?  It has something to do with the number of Apostles, the tribes of Israel...and maybe that they came a dozen to a pack!

Then they gave me an even more unexpected gift of a new guitar gig bag.  Somehow or another they got a custom made Mississippi State iron-on for it.



We arrived in Lviv just before noon, still full from the pizza for breakfast.  We got coffee at McDonald's then shopped in the open market and walked around beautiful old town.  Later we went to the huge King Cross Mall and watched SkyFall on the Imax.  I do recommend the Imax experience by the way.

After the movie we went to Aquapark- I guess the largest indoor waterpark in Ukraine.  We stayed for 2 hours then went back to downtown where we had a late McDonald's meal before walking to the train station on a drizzly night.  Our train left at 12:49 am and we returned to Uzhgorod about 6:50 this morning.

That was quite a birthday!

1 comment:

flutterby said...

Wow! That is quite a birthday. Glad they are taking care of you well out west :)