Friday, November 9, 2012

30 Days of Blogging. Day 9, Days Off.

I think I wrote a blog earlier this year about how I'm pretty happy to just accomplish one thing a day. I've learned living here in Ukraine not to go crazy with "to do" lists.  You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think you're going to complete a laundry list of items on any one day.  It makes you think ahead for sure.

So, there are days when I only do "one" thing.  Yes, there are days when all I "DO" for the day is buy groceries.  In reality, buying groceries isn't that big of a chore- it usually takes me about 2 hours.  I either walk a mile to the store or take a bus which still involves walking and waiting...so the time is about the same and I can only buy what I can carry.  Right now that isn't too bad...but come January I'll be doing it in knee deep snow and sub-zero temperatures.  Would you want to do anything else for the day??

Today I had about 90 minutes of band practice.  But band practice ends after public transportation for my neighborhood quits running for the evening so I either catch a taxi or walk 30 minutes home.  Again, not bad right now...but wait 'till it's -10 or -15 degrees outside!!

Normally, I have plenty I could be doing here at home (I don't have an office, right?).  There's always some language study I could do.  Right now there's a Bible Study I'm leading tomorrow that I could work on some more.  I'm helping to lead worship this Sunday morning and Lord knows there are words and phrases in those songs that I just can't do...I could practice a lot more than I do.  I'm teaching seminars next weekend in Kalush and I need to go over the three seminars I've already prepared and I need to write a new one.  I could have done that today.

But you know what?  I spent about 30 minutes practicing guitar before band practice.  Then I went to band practice and then walked home.  I washed a load of clothes today.  And that's all.  And I'm ok with that.

No comments: